[ale] OT: underclocking?

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Mon Aug 1 18:02:39 EDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 05:00 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Underclocking is almost always OK. You won't damage the CPU by running
> it at a lower clockspeed.

This has been the case in my limited experience.

> HOWEVER!!! ?Most newer CPU' use a lower voltage than most older boards
> provide. That _will_ trash the CPU. You will need to underclock the CPU
> voltage to get it down to what the new CPU will run on.

Good to know.... BTW at least some newer ASUS boards will auto underclock if
it sees something out of the ordinary. Our (joint venture with son) A7V8X
test box auto clocked the AMD 2500+ to slightly slower than my 1800+
because the RAM is slower than recommended.
--
William