[ale] Dual core CPUs in cluster?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Thu Apr 28 09:10:00 EDT 2005

James P. Kinney III wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 18:26 -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
>

>>James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>

>>   For the AMD dual-core the L1 and L2 caches are all separate.
>>There is a cross-bar in the chip though to help with memory
>>access requests, etc.
>>

>Good! Thanks for the info. I need to read more closely (or at least
>before 1 am).

Of all of the pundits out there that discussed the dual-core
Opteron and Xeon, my favorite was at Anadtech
(http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397).
The article took some time to point out the horrible pricing that
AMD has chosen for the dual-core Opteron (in some cases you pay
3 times the single core price for the additional second core!).
However, they did also say that the pricing for the dual-core
Athlong 64 X2 is much better than the Opteron pricing. They
also mention that the Intel pricing for the Pentium D dual-core
was much better than AMD's pricing.

Of course there was some testing in the article and the dual-core's
look pretty spiffey. I just can't get over the high prices.

Jeff