[ale] Basic web design fee

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:38:00 EDT 2005

Based on the reaction I get from most people I go to school with (not that
we really have that many good web folks where I go to school, at least in
terms of understanding what they're doing), they're convinced that anyone
wanting to write their own code is nuts. I personally only like generators
when it comes to GUI building for 'real' applications. Manually laying out
every Qt or MSFT widget is a pain in the behind.

Other than that, though, code generators don't seem to have much of a
purpose.

I do use some automation on my personal site, but it's just a php script
that goes and grabs all of the files in a given directory and makes a
listing of X type file, or the similar script that runs my online journal,
which picks up all the journal entries and displays them for me. It's not
really generating code, though, since I have to write the entries with any
markup I want already in them, and the script just embeds each one inside
its own little div for formatting.

Auto-building websites using the GUI tools is nice when you're first
starting off, because you can see a direct relationship between the code and
the screen. But after a few sample pages, you begin to realize that you can
have far smaller markup and accomplish the same things, especially when you
start to get into PHP or SSI to bring in your common menus and such.

WMM

On 4/25/05, Barry Hawkins <barry at bytemason.org> wrote:

http://warrenmyers.com
"Don't let the elephants see what the rabbits are doing." --Ben R Rich
"He looks like a contented Christian with four aces." --Mark Twain