[ale] Debian and Palm Pilot

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Apr 24 20:25:01 EDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 02:57:57PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Seymour wrote:

> >>Good point.  If it's usb, you've got the wrong device.  It would be
> >>/dev/ttyUSB1
> >>

> >It is a serial connection and is connected to ttyS1. I had it working
> >under Red Hat a couple of years ago. Would these failed connection
> >attempts show up in a log somewhere with debug info.
>
> check the output of dmesg
> check /var/log/messages
>
> what does:
>
> setserial -av /dev/ttyS1
>
> report?
>
> Make sure the speeds of the pilot and the port are the same.  Also try a
> lower speed see if that works.

Thanks All,

It turned out to be a bad com port issue/setting. I connected the
Palm to the other com port that my modem was using, changed the command
to reflect that port and voila. Funny that dmesg shows both ports as
16550A. I'll try the setserial program before I open the box up. The
bios reports that both com ports are enabled. At least I now have a
recent sync ;-)

Thanks again to all,

Jim Seymour

--
Windows is open sores - subject to recurrent festering infections. eewww
Linux is open source - subject to recurrent scrutiny of hackers. aahhh