[ale] SSH Woes

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 18:59:23 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

| On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 01:37 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
|
|>First, try doing:
|>
|>  cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
|>
|>to see what your TCP keepalive time is under each kernel.  If it is much
|>longer under your 2.6 kernel, try adding:
|>
|>  # Bob: Shorten for SSH through finicky firewalls (default is 7200 secs):
|>  echo "Set TCP keepalive time to 180 seconds"
|>  echo 180 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
|>
|>to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and rebooting.
|>
|>Please let me know if that is the problem.
|

| Hey, thanks Bob.  I don't know if this helped Michael, but it sure
| helped me.  I've been noticing all sorts of dropped connections (SSH,
| AIM Chats, Xwin, etc) from home that I don't see at other locations.
| Shortening my keepalive eliminated the problems.  This certainly has
| something to do with my Linksys AP.  What is the reasoning behind
| dropping so low to 180 (from 7200)?  Can their be any side affects?

I won't know if this helped me just yet.  I haven't had the time to fool
around with it, as some crazy things have been going on with work.
*shrugs*.

When I do know, I will throw it up here.

And just out of curiosity:  Environment variables are all set
independant of the kernel, aren't they?

And just FYI as well, the behavior is 100% reproducable if you install
Slackware 10.1 which installs with a 2.4.29 kernel, and then compile a
2.6 kernel (to date I've only tried 2.6.11.x kernels).

	- Mike

- --
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!