[ale] professional groups / associations

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Apr 22 12:22:49 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Bob Toxen wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 05:52:11PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > I've not heard of one. I choked it up and got an individual policy with
> > Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
> Avoid Blue Cross.  They're terrible.  So is Kaiser, IMHO.  Best to
> avoid HMOs 'cause they can screw you with what they allow.

Well, rule "games" are how costs are controlled. Or that seems to be true
in my limited experience. And that will hold true for the traditional
major medical type insurance also. The advantage of the traditional
insurance is that you don't run into their rules as often.

Confessional time: I'm not a big fan of the payment system for medical
care in the US. For one reason or another, four (maybe five) times in the
past 30 years I've had medical expenses for the family exceed that year's
income. On at least one occasion, that included the insurance policy
paying the majority of the bill! (Note to all: it is _very_ expensive to
die in this country. Try to arrainge your affairs so you expire outside
the medical establishment's care to protect your assets.)

YMMV, IANAL, and so forth.