[ale] RE: Open Exchange Query

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Apr 22 11:07:01 EDT 2005

That "drop in replacement" is a relic of the the pre-Novell SuSE days.
I doubt you'd find anyone in the current Novell collaboration group that
would tell you that now.

We were a SuSE and Novell partner prior to the acquisition, and we were
never an advocate of OpenExchange.  As  free product it is ok, but as a
commercial product it leaves a lot to be desired.

-jt

>>> ale1 at cybertechcafe.net 04/22/05 10:33 am >>>
I have recently spent a lot of time with OpenExchange (free version and
SuSE Linux openexchange server 4.1) trying to do the 'drop in'
replacement for MS Exchange.? The short story is, despite what the
marketing and pre-sales tech support tell you, it's not a drop in
replacement (verbatim from Novell tech support).? The web component of
the product is very nice, but for MS Outlook Clients, it basically
functions as an IMAP server.? The ISLOX connector is supposed to provide

the MAPI stuff, but we were not successful in getting it going, and
Novell doesn't support it.

Dante Martinez wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>I'm wondering if anyone here has used Open Exchange and can give me any
feedback.? I've been trying to get it setup for some time and not having
much luck.? I'm going to start over tonight and try with Debian and will
post with any errors I get.

>I'd love to get this working as many of my customers would go with it
since they could continue to use M$ Outlook with it.

>I'm also confused as the web site indicates there is a new version 5 -
but I can't actually find the download or eval or even how to buy it.?
The acquisition by Novell seems to be confusing matters.

Ale at ale.org