[ale] SuperMicro Power Down

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Apr 21 23:19:37 EDT 2005

I could try disabling the power management all together.  The CPU is a
PIV with HT.  I use a SMP kernel even though there is really only one
processor.  Linux sees 2.

When we sell these boxes we sell them to people that have no clue about
Linux.  I've developed web pages that allow them to config the box.
Setup IP addresses, do CD-RW backups.  The software on the box is a J2EE
app so it is web based too.  The whole goal is to provide a easy to use
application on a server that can be controlled with a web browser.

That was fine and dandy until someone wanted to move the box.  I had
forgotten to add a power down web page.  all the could do was either
restart or pull the plug.  I added a power down feature to the web
control panel and it worked fine until I got the same board with a newer
rev of the BIOS.

The manufacturer gave me a newer rev to flash but why in the hell do I
have to boot dos to do it?  I have to find a floppy and find a version
of windows that will make a simply bootable dos floppy.