[ale] Wacky Mouse

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Tue Apr 19 20:10:16 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 11:26 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> > I posted this yesterday to gentoo-user, but I've not gotten much
> > response, and my laptop is largely unsusable, so I thought I'd ask here
> > too.
> > -----
> > Today, my mouse has gone wacky.  Previously I had a fine working
> > Gentoo/X11 system on my Dell I8600.  A week ago, upgraded my profile, and
> > updated the system, including switching to udev. I had no problem for the
> > last week, so I believe that all worked well.
> >
> > Today, I did another update ("emerge -uavD world"), and started to muck
> > with user-mode linux.  This did necessitate a rebuild of my kernel, and a
> > reboot. When I was done, my pointer is wacky.
> >
> > "Wacky" mean the pointer is largely "stuck" near the bottom left corner
> > of the display.   Any attempt to move it generates a great deal of
> > flashing of the pointer.  When I start X, the pointer appears dead center
> > of the screen, until I touch the touchpad at which point it jumps to the
> > bottom left area of the screen.
>
> This sounds like a misconfigured mouse in the X config.  Have you
> verified that's not been changed?

Yes.  It's the same as it always was.  And, I've also tried other variations
(like not using the synaptics driver, but the default PS/2 mode).

This evening, I plugged in a USB mouse, and it seems to work.  I'm wondering
if it might be hardware failure, but when I boot into Windows (ugh) it works.
It did seem a little "slow" in movement.