[ale] network rant

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Apr 19 17:37:44 EDT 2005

If the external IP address and DNS for a systems changes, why do I have
to REBOOT the linux machine to make all of the networking function
properly?!?!?!

Changed an ISP. Migrated all of the old IP's to the new IP's. Migrated
the firewall to use the new IP's. Restarted networking and firewall.
Found the LAN couldn't browse to certain web sites (<gag><spit>AOL,
MSN</spit></gag>). Went round and round with MTU settings, traceroutes,
tcpdump, tequila (it didn't help, but it calmed things down a bit).
Finally, I rebooted the firewall box and all was right with the world.

When, oh when, is the networking stack going to FLUSH memory on startup?
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>