[ale] Linux Evangelism

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Apr 13 11:40:01 EDT 2005

That's great! I never waste an opportunity to evangelize...I've moved my
mother, my fiancee, and several friends/acquaintances over to Linux.  The
most important thing (at least in my experience thus far) is just to make
sure they understand that Linux isn't Windows, and they'll need to get used
to it, so give it some time.  Most people are just happy with the simple fact
that it's stable, and some, like my mom, are even happier that they can avoid
Microsoft.  She's no computer geek by any stretch, but she doesn't like big
monopolies, so it gives her a tickle to use a computer without needing to pay
Microsoft.

My school actually purchased a whole set of laptops for the astronomy classes
and a program called Starry Night for them.  That (expensive) program, as far
as I can tell, is basically identical to KStars.  Before I graduate I want to
show my old astronomy professor a copy of Kstars and see what he thinks...who
knows, maybe they'll even use it instead of an expensive program that eats
the department budget.

-Jay