[ale] ALE NW meetings are postponed until we locate a new site

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 11 15:21:48 EDT 2005

Dow_Hurst wrote:
> Do you think Google and the Web in general are reducing the need
> people feel for getting together in a "geek" meeting?  Or, is it a
> "fast paced" life with long work hours the real culprit?  I remember
> my Dad taking me to a Atlanta computer users meeting back when the
> TRS80 and such era machines were popular.  There were a lot of people
> there at the time.  Much later I went to my first ALE meeting at
> GaTech and it was a full auditorium all about Linux.  At least 100
> people or more were there.  Now, the meetings seem much sparser and
> we have three at least trying to keep going.  Maybe a single meeting
> in Atlanta with stronger presentations would be back in order?
> Convenience can sometimes be misinterpreted unconsciously to mean
> less important.  Maybe if everyone had to work harder to make it to
> the meetings, they would become more valuable.  Just a thought.  I'm
> out of the loop anyway now...

I think you may well be on target there Dow.  Thing is, Emory is so hard
to get to for anyone that's not inside the perimeter.  Who want's to
head (back) into town?

> One more thought:  How about a poll (we've had these before I know)
> of informational needs people have.  This could help with getting
> presentations that are interesting to the group advertised ahead of
> time.

I'd be interesting in hearing from folks who have attended NW meetings
in the past.  If the NW meetings are permanently discontinued, will you
travel to the Central meetings?

> If I was still at KSU, I would have helped with keeping the NW
> meeting going.  I'm really sorry that it is folding! Dow

I know you would have.  It's a combination of new security rules for the
facilities and (total) lack of any involvement by the student LUG.

--
Until later, Geoffrey