[ale] Burning CDs

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 8 10:29:08 EDT 2005

The most common solution to your problem is the permissions on the device file for your cd burner.

ls -l /dev/cd*
ls -l /dev/dvd*
ls -l /dev/hd*

will usually reveal the problem.  For SCSI emulation try
ls -l /dev/sg*

The easy fix is to chmod the device representing the burner to 666 since many times a cd burner group is not defined and you aren't a member of it if it was defined.

chmod 666 /dev/sg0
is an example.  Just pick the device file that represents your burner when you do this.

You can add a group called burner and chown the device to that group if you want a more secure robust approach.  Make yourself a member of that group and you will be fine.  Easier is to use Yast2 or redhat config or whatever system admin tool is on your distro to add the group.  Make yourself a member by adding your username to those in the group.

chown root.burner /dev/sg0
chmod 660 /dev/sg0

See, that makes the group and those that are members able to write or read to the device, and keeps all others from doing that.  The only problem I've noticed with setting this up is that GUI based logins can cause on some distributions a automatic change of ownership and permissions on removeable media devices to make reading and writing convenient for the logged in user.  The hurts those remotely logging in.  Probably isn't your problem here, though.  Just check your permissions and try burning once you've got write/read permissions to the device.

I've fixed K3b and NeroLinux by doing the above procedure.  K3b has a more intuitive interface but NeroLinux has more capabilities in this first Linux version.  You have to buy the Windows Nero6 to get a license key for this commercially supported product, but then you can download the Linux version.  It takes a key during the install.  Oh, and the install was painless except for the device permissions.
Dow