[ale] CENTRAL MEETING, Th, 4/14: Diving into Python and (sadly) Moderator Michael Hirsch Departing

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Apr 8 05:09:03 EDT 2005

The topic that we have squeezed in for this Month's ALE CENTRAL
meeting on Thursday, April 14th at 7:30pm is

' An Agile, Un-Constricted Review of "Diving Into Python" '

[ open source text book tutorial available at http://DiveIntoPython.org>  ]

Presenter Aaron Ruscetta (that's me) will be sharing his attempt at reviving
some neglected coding skills through the study of a new programming language.
In this case, we're talking about Python, the popular,  object oriented,
cross platform language named for the British comedy troupe that introduced
us to the concept of "spam" as an unwelcome but tirelessly persistent
offering.

A cursory review of the freely available tutorial and reference text book,
"Diving Into Python" will serve as the framework for some broader discussions
of both the Python language and the "agile" pair programming methods that we
employed in this instance to enhance both the code writing and educational
processes.

I say we, because credit for this months presentation additionally goes to
Michael Hirsch, whose  "Super Duper" disk cloning project, professional
experience and cordial friendship made every step of the language exploration
and presentation preparation easier and more enjoyable.

And, while I'm thanking Michael, I must also regretfully announce that April
14th will mark  his last ALE meeting for a while, since his new place of
employment is buried in the deep Rocky Mountain snow drifts of Boulder
Colorado.  We'll all have a chance to say (a warm, cozy, Atlanta) "so long
and thanks for all the Tips"  with a Stone Cold Ice Cream salute after
Thursday's meeting.

Michael's departure means we will be needing a new Atlanta Linux Enthusiast to
volunteer as a Co-Moderator for the Central Meeting.  The task is definitely
much more manageable with two people, so help will is both welcome and
needed.

Lastly, once we get a first new Meeting Moderator comortable, I'd like to take
a break from these duties for a while as well and hope that some time before
the end of the year we can find a second new Co-Moderator volunteer for the
Central meeting.

Anyone interested in picking up a Central Meeting Co-Moderator torch only
needs to say so at a meeting!  :-)

With thanks,
peace
(because the only culture of life is the Culture of Peace)
aaron