[ale] POP3 connection deactivating

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 1 16:43:11 EST 2005

I am seeing the following message in /var/log/messages on a mail server for
which I am responsible:

"Deactivating service pop3 due to excessive incoming connections.
Restarting in 30 seconds."

I have changed the cps value in xinetd.conf to "100 30" per a suggestion I
found online a few weeks ago in hopes of at least temporarily curing the
issue by allowing for more POP3 connections.  This seemed to work fine until
the past couple days.

My question is how can I find out what is causing this to happen in the
first place?  Nothing I have found in any log on the server has led me to an
answer of any sort so far.

The server is running RHEL3 ES (kernel 2.4.21-27.0.2.Elsmp), xinetd
2.3.12-6.3E, sendmail 8.12.11-4.RHEL3.1 and ipop3d.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

-Ryan