[ale] exim or bastille problem...

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Apr 1 10:15:33 EST 2005

Setting up a new mail server using Exim. I always use Bastille to
harden my servers, and am quite familiar with its firewall config and I
know it's allowing port 25. A quick glance at my currently running
iptables shows that traffic to port 25 should be allowed.

And yet, I can't telnet to the port. I'm running exim as a daemon.  I'm
not seeing anything in my logs except that exim

refused connection from {hostname} [IP] (tcp wrappers)

Over and over again. What could be up with this?  xinetd is not running
that I can see, it's certainly not set to run at this runlevel and doesn't
mention smtp anyway. This is Fedora Core 3, if that helps. What else could
be blocking email in such a way?

Thanks

--
Jenn Taylor
jtaylor at onlinea.com

Obviously, a man's judgement cannot be better than the information on which he
has based it.  Give him the truth and he may still go wrong when he has
the chance to be right, but give him no news or present him only with distorted
and incomplete data, with ignorant, sloppy or biased reporting, with propaganda
and deliberate falsehoods, and you destroy his whole reasoning processes, and
make him something less than a man.
-- Arthur Hays Sulzberger