[ale] binary compatibility (red hat 7.x to rhel3)

Tyler Kiley tyler.kiley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:03:14 EDT 2004

I've put this issue off for several weeks, but finally came back to
it.  I tried the suggestions in this thread, but no dice.  I know
frustratingly little about executables and how they work, so pardon me
for asking more stupid questions.. :[

The (very short) strace log of the program is at
http://wordnet.net/urchin_strace.txt ; I really don't know what to do
next, or if it's time to throw in the towel and say it can't be done.

Obviously, the binary is expecting an older version of something on
the system... is there any way I could create an older "virtual
system" within this rhel3 system?  If so, could someone tell me the
correct term for that so I can google for it and figure out how to do
it? ;-)

(ugh, I should have learned all this stuff years ago... )

Tyler