[ale] Losing PHP Jobs in Atlanta? Growing ASP.NET?

Jonathan Chum jchum at aismedia.com
Tue Sep 28 09:09:43 EDT 2004

For the last several months, we've been hiring new developers for our
company and back in June, and after posting an ad in Monster, the results
we've received for a strictly PHP developer has not been very desirable. Of
30 or so resumes posted here on ALE, GA Tech Newsgroup (git.cc.jobs), CoC
push bin bulletin board (not a single response after 2 weeks), and on
Monster.com, there was about 2 individuals that were o.k. for the job. Not a
perfect fit since they either worked only on a few projects that involved
PHP, or lack basic skills in UI design.

This month, I put another job placement out on Monster for another developer
and out of the 13 resumes received, there was probably one potential for an
interview after 3 weeks.

As a PHP developer in a FreeBSD environment, I'm not sure if good
individuals are moving towards bigger cities like NY where PHP is much more
widely used and if Atlanta is growing to be more of .NET world. I looked on
computerjobs.com the other day and noticed a much bigger pool of jobs for
.NET versus PHP/Perl developers.

Anyone had their company migrate from LINUX to Windows? I just read briefly
an article in eWeek about that. How about systems admin positions being
replaced by automated scripts that any junior S.A. can learn how to use?

Regards,
Jonathan Chum
Systems Developer

A I S M e d i a , I n c . - "We Build eBusinesses"
7000 Central Parkway
Suite #1700
Atlanta, GA 30328
Tel: 770.350.7998 ext. 505 / Fax: 770.350.9409
http://www.aismedia.com / jchum at aismedia.com