[ale] Firefox & IE ... yada yada yada

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Sep 21 13:48:44 EDT 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Ok, given all the recent emails about FF and IE, I have a related
> question.  I have a XP pc that I use to play games.  I
> installed FF, but
> I can't seem to completely remove iexplore.exe.  Does anyone know if
> it is possible to completely removed iexpolore.exe?
>
> thx,
>
> -Jim P.

I haven't looked at removing IE from XP, but check out http://www.litepc.com/.  It should do it.  I used to use 98Lite to setup my Win98 machines.  I also used a program called Protab or IEradicator to nuke IE.  It fudged registry settings so your software that "required" IE to install "saw" you had an up-to-date version of IE.  I've not tried these with XP.

How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q293907

Check the last statement here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;318378

"By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer."

I also found this:
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1241.aspx
but both partitions need to be FAT32 apparently.

let me know if you try it.  I don't have an XP machine to play with ;)

Preston