[ale] OT: Can MS IE Really Be This Broken?

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Mon Sep 20 15:32:57 EDT 2004

> I didn't look at the original email, so apologies if this isn't relevant
> (but in most cases it tends to be):  tables should not be used to
> control layout!  CSS is more than up to the job, and is the right tool
> for the job.  Table-based layouts are a pain in the neck and are a nasty
> hack.  And any time I hear talk of nested tables etc., I can only sigh..

I used to feel the same way, but then I tried to define a layout with 3
columns at the top, followed by a few full-width areas.

There is no way to do this in CSS (AFAICT) that allow all areas to be
dynamically sized based on the quantity of the content.  The closest I
could come had the 3 top parts stairstepping down the page, so it was like
they were vertically stacked, but without being vertically stacked.

I fell back to tables until such time as I can figure out how to do that
layout without absolute positioning (which appears to be how most CSS
layouts are done :( )

--attriel