[ale] 'Nother sshd confiuration question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 19 09:48:05 EDT 2004

ALErs -

I have some problems configuring 'sshd' (built from 'openssh-3.7.1p2'
sources) on my RH-7.3 box. As I had previously written, I haven't been
able to enable key-based authentication (using ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub instead
of password entry), and also seem unable to set the 'PermitRootLogin no'
so as to prohibit an outsider a directl login as 'root' (the idea being
login as a known user, then use 'su' from that shell to acquire root
privileges).

I suspect I may not be using the proper 'sshd_config' file, else one or
both of those switches should have been named explicitly when I built
'sshd' from sources, I put the changes into '/etc/ssh/sshd_config' and
'/usr/etc/ssh/sshd_config' - the only candidates I can 'find' - but
neither seem to become effective when I use the startup script to
'restart' or 'reload' my sshd.

Any idea how to track this down?

TIA.

 - John Mills