[ale] Minimal but easily customizable linux distribution.

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Fri Sep 17 07:24:52 EDT 2004

> 	Soooo... I'd like a nice, up to date distribution that installs easily,
> doesn't do a lot of funky
> custom stuff, and lets me build/install new apps as I need them without
> worrying about colliding with
> a bunch of old dependencies. Gentoo might fit the bill except its install
> is still something far more
> complex than it need be even at the easiest level. I'd appreciate any
> recommendations or
> experiences people can pass along. Maybe I'm just missing some otherwise
> obvious solution?

Well ... You want minimal and not a lot of fluff to get in the way,
Slackware certainly sounds like it fits your bill.

As in, there is no dependency tracking, and up until last year I had a box
I installed in 95 and had done updates/etc by grabbing source and
compiling (and I only learned upgradepkg last year, when I started using
it at the office too).

There's a couple things based off slack that are even more minimal, but I
don't remember what they are.  Admittedly, slack isn't necessarily
"bleeding edge", but since you can proceed to ignore everything about
slack once you've installed it, you can do upgrades to your preferred
version and the distro will never complain about it :)

--attriel