[ale] dual boot xp sp2 and any linux distro

Parker McGee pmazer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:21:27 EDT 2004

I don't think you've recieved an answer to this, but I don't have the
entire thread, so I'm not sure.  In any case, I think your best route
is to get a linux boot cd (I know Gentoo's works, but Knoppix probably
will too) and then boot into it.  (This is after Windows is installed)
 Mount all your linux partitions to /mnt/gentoo (assuming the gentoo
cd is used), then chroot into it with "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash".
Then run "grub" and type the following lines in "root(hd0,0)" where
hd0 is your harddrive (hda) if you use, say hdb for linux, then it
would use hd0 and the ,0 after hd0 is the partition of your /boot dir.
 0 for partition 1, 1 for partition 2, etc.  Then type "setup(hd0)"
where hd0 is the hd used in the previous command.  Then "quit" and
reboot the computer without the cd.  That /should/ work, at least it
works after I manually install grub from Gentoo, I'm not sure if SuSE
does anything weird.