[ale] binary compatibility (red hat 7.x to rhel3)

Tyler Kiley tyler.kiley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:18:44 EDT 2004

I've lived in blissful ignorance of all the issues related to binary
compatibility between different versions of linux so far, since most
everything I've needed has been either open-source or available in
packages designed for each distribution and version I want to use, but
now the issue has been forced upon me :/

I'm trying to replace an old red hat 7.3 webserver with one running
redhat enterprise 3.  Unfortunately, the old server was running a very
old copy of urchin (a closed-source webstats program).  It was
statically linked, so I thought it'd be okay, but when I try to run it
on the new box, it segfaults.  Getting a different binary from the
vendor isn't an option, and upgrading to a more recent version of
urchin is way out of my price range... is there anything I can try
that might make this binary work?

Advice is much appreciated -- especially if it leads to success :-)

Tyler