[ale] MS Word viewer

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 13 22:48:21 EDT 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 13:56, Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

If you are running fairly fresh Wine, you can simply use Microsoft's own
WordViewer application. It is free for the download. I am running SuSE 9.1
Pro (fresh install this morning, it seems to be a nice advancement over
9.0!). Anyway - the Wine that comes w/ SuSE 9.1 works just fine with the MS
Word viewer, although I had trouble with an older version of wine.

So - assuming you have wine-20040203 or newer, you should be good to go. Go
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9BBB9E60-E4F3-436D-A5A7-DA0E5431E5C1&displaylang=EN

Download the viewer (just click download). Go into a terminal window, and
install the viewer (wine wd97vwr32.exe). It should install cleanly, but you
may have to try twice.

Once the viewer is installed, you can view your MSWord documents. I entered
the following to view a README.DOC file in the same directory as my
viewer.exe: wine WORDVIEW.EXE README.DOC

I'm sure there are prettier ways to do it, but that worked. I could view the
README.DOC in OpenOffice and KWord, but it looked very different under the
MSWord viewer.