[ale] Document contains no data

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 13 00:46:18 EDT 2004

There is one situation you can get that in that is truly mystifying
until you figure it out.  Then you feel like an idiot.  Any one want to
guess what that situation is?

So, I'll share my idiocy....

If you set your firewall's internal interface's MTU to 1412 then you
better match all your internal LAN based machine interface's MTUs to
1412 and not leave them at 1500.  ;-)
Dow

PS.  A smaller than 1500 MTU will improve throughput on PPPoE
connections since the ethernet is encapsulated in PPP packets.