[ale] Y'all were right about Travan tapes - wish you weren't

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Sep 11 15:08:52 EDT 2004

griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:
>> From: "Preston Boyington" <PBoyington at polyengineering.com> sorry to
>> hear about the trashed system, but getting the home directory in
>> its' own partition will be for the best (my preference is to have
>> /, /home, /var, /usr all on their own partitions).
>
> Hey Preston - how would I size it to have /, /home, /var and /usr on
> different partitions? I have a 40 Gig hard drive for messing with. I
> have a separate hard drive for Windows, so will just leave that as
> is.

This is really hard to say without knowing what you do with that box.
I've bot a 10 gig /home on one box, which is pretty much unsual,
particularily since there's only one user.  If you're going to use the
whole 40 gig, here's a starting place:

/ 5 gig
/usr 10 gig
/var 10 gig
/home 15 gig

You might consider a separate /tmp partition as well.  I've also a 32
gig slice named /music and another 32 gig slice named /share.  A lot
depends on what you do with the box.  With SuSE, you might consider a
separate /opt slice as well.  Mine is 11 gig, but only 1.6 is used
currently in a pretty full SuSE install.

> Also - any recent prices on SuSE 9.1 Pro upgrade new in box? I have
> 9.0, but would like to give 9.1 a run. Anyone seen SuSE 9.1 Pro on a
> shelf locally, or is it a mail deal, now?

I've never seen an upgrade box set on a shelf.  You can get it online
form SuSE.  I can't recall what I paid for mine, $50 maybe..

Then again, you could borrow my disks.. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995