Fwd: Fwd: [ale] Miguel de Icaza and Mono?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 7 07:18:14 EDT 2004

Carolinux.com wrote:
> I neglected to send this last post to the list. So sorry.

As I noted to you in private email, this is gnome on top of cygnome, not
exactly the same thing.

>>My point here is that .NET is proprietary.  I don't doubt they will
>>continue to support it.  Point is, what happens down the road when .NET
>>and Mono are humming along fine and working so well together.  Then M$
>>makes a proprietary change to .NET that causes problems with mono?
>>They've done this before.
>>

> How does this differ from JAVA?

It doesn't, but I'd trust Sun a whole lot more then Microsoft.  Not that
I trust Sun, but let's look at history shall we?  Microsoft is well
known for 'embrace and extend,' which is similar to what we are talking
about.  The only difference is, they have a technology that's being
implemented in open source.  All they have to do is tweek .NET a bit and
it will break mono apps.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995