[ale] Install Issues with my inspiron 8500

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 7 06:14:12 EDT 2004

Jim Philips wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2004 02:24 pm, Jeb Barger wrote:
>
>>I have been trying to installing MDK10 on my inspiron 8500.  Things go
>>fine except when it asks for the second cd.  It will tell me that it is
>>not found, once I put it in of course.  I thought it was just a bad cd,
>>so I burnt another one same problem.  I have also tried different
>>distro's they all have problems when I asked to switch cd's.  I have
>>also tried burning the cd's using a different burner.  Any ideas?
>>
>>The only distro I have had luck with was a Fedora boot DVD (didn't need
>>to switch disks and it worked).
>

> Maybe there are issues with your CD drive. What kind is it? Have you done any
> searches based on the hardware involved? You may find that there are
> parameters you need to add to properly recognize your drive at boot time.

One thing you can do since you have a cd/dvd reader, is to put all the
rpms on a dvd, do a floppy install and point to the cd for the sources.
  It's a bit more of a headache, but it is a workaround for the problem.

I too would suspect a hardware issue since this is consistent across
distros.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995