[ale] Install Issues with my inspiron 8500

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 6 17:52:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:56, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> Check the MD5 sum on the ISO you downloaded and make sure the download was
> complete. I downloaded FC2 disk 2 the other day, successfully I thought, and
> burned the CD only to find missing packages. The packages were there, but
> reported as 0 bytes in size. Downloaded via http with Firefox 0.8 on WinXP
> and burned with Roxio on same. I'd seen this happen before with Bittorrent
> downloads, so I picked up on it pretty quick. MD5 sum failed verification,
> so I extracted the ISO to a folder with WinRAR and discovered that a number
> of packages were 0 bytes in size. A fresh download took care of things.
> Never seen any quirky drive problems on the 8500, and I have loaded RH9 and
> Slackware on quite a few of them. If it is a problem with the drive, then as
> you said, the DVD is the way to go unless you feel like performing a network
> install.

My FD2 download  all the disks passed the md5sum check for the iso and
all passed the diskcheck test in the install program. I STILL had
problems with unreadable files!

Apparently, the need to burn at a slower speed for install disks has not
been fully tested yet. There are some disk heating issues with numerous
drives. This is more prevalent with multi-disk Linux installs the normal
head placement calibrations occur with a cooler drive.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>