[ale] Vonage?

Richard ratcheson at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 12:33:48 EDT 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 09:26 pm, miguel wrote:
> i am thinking of getting vonage also...so from what you are saying i
> cant have this setup:
>
> vonage box <--->ipcop box <---->netgear router <--->dsl modem
>
> i need a hub between the router and the modem...?

I've been using Vonage for the past year and a half and it has worked at
least as well as GTE/Verizon ever did at 1/2 the cost.

My setup was originally :
cable modem> main machine running as masq and dhcp> hub> All the rest of my
network including Vonage.  The Vonage ip was fixed at 192.168.1.152.

Then I changed things a bit by adding a wireless router. Now my setup looks
like this:
CableModem>Wireless>Server/Router/dhcp/ShorewallFirewall>DMZ for Vonage
                         >LocalNet for other Network Machines.

I know it's not the optimum setup but it got my wireless stuff up and
running with a minimum of fuss.  The Server functions as my Print Server
as well.  All the machines are able to communicate with each other
including the wireless laptops.

So I guess the rule is you can do it anyway you want if you're willing to
work at it.

BTW, the cisco box plugged into the house phone jack and all my phones
worked as they did originally.  Just be sure the outside line is
disconnected.

Richard
--
Old age ain't for Sissies!