[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

bim bimmer546 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 18:02:18 EDT 2004

--- George Carless <kafka at antichri.st> wrote:

> > > The tiny little point you're missing is that all
> this is true of email,
> > > period.  s/Gmail/email/g on your rant. If you
> send me email, I can analyze
> > > it however I want (and make no mistake; I, or my
> employers, or my providers,
> > > do analyze it. The details of what and how
> depend upon which address of mine
> > > you use, but I'll bet at least some of them you
> wouldn't like ;-).  If I
> > > send you email, you can analyze it however you
> want. There's nothing
> > > remotely unusual about gmail in this regard,
> other than that they (unlike
> > > me) actually publish a cursory summary of what
> analysis they do.
> >
> > Do you sell the results of your analysis to a
> third party?
>
> Whether any individual does or doesn't, the point is
> that they *could*, and you'd be
> none the wiser.  Furthermore, I hardly see what your
> point is: Google claim that
> they "will never sell, rent or share your personal
> information, including
> your Gmail address or email content, with any third
> parties for marketing purposes
> without your express permission.".  So what's the
> problem?
>
> Apart from the fact that the sky is falling, of
> course..
>
> --George

The "point" is Federal Law governing examination
/redistribution of such data. When signing up for
GMail, you grant Google/GMail to do things that
contravene the Federal Communications Act. Read links
posted before...
<http://www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html>  and
<http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/>

Oh yeah: "they *could* and I'd be none the wiser" I'm
sure Jet Blue want you on their Board of Directors -
See Jet Blue Fesses up
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60502,00.html>

bim