[ale] question about SAMBA and a windows program called ACT

Van Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Fri Sep 3 08:28:39 EDT 2004

I have a company who is needing a "server" for their network
to host the ACT contact database program.

Do you think that the ACT software work ok if it is executed
and run from a SAMBA file share as opposed to running it off
of a Windows 2000 or NT 4.0 server. it is a 5 user copy and
will have 5 people using the software at the same time. If
it was only going to be 1 or 2 users I would just have them
run it from a windows file share on one of their PCs.

This company is on a very tight budget and really can't afford to pay
me for my time to set up this "server" plus the costs of
Windows server software. If I can save the day by using Linux, I am
confident that they will see the benefits of using Linux
instead of Windows on their systems.

Their workstations are running Windows XP Home edition (yuckie!!!)  if this makes any difference.
thanks for any thoughts or information you can give me about
this subject.

Thanks again

Van

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator - ESC Dept
      _
     -o)
     /\\
    _\_v