[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Sep 1 10:17:01 EDT 2004

[...]

    Robert> Since I've had a Blogger account, my guess is I've got
    Robert> them too, but I'll be damned if I'll ever use them.  In
    Robert> fact, look for my new filter that automatically deletes
    Robert> and blocks any inbound email from gmail accounts.  I
    Robert> *will* not have have Google or anyone else peruse through
    Robert> any email I send to a gmail user, and certainly am not
    Robert> interested in having Google sniff any email sent to me
    Robert> from a gmail account.  ;c)

Unless you're using gpg (or the like) then anyone along the route can
read anything you send.  There's nothing stopping anyone at your ISP
from doing something similar to your pop/imap spool without your
knowing it (c.f. the kerfuffle about "Carnivore" several years back).

The only difference is that google has come out and said up front
"We're giving you a gig of storage, and in return we're going to have
*software* run your messages through our ad matching stuff".  Imputing
nefarious motives to google and denying the same from other ISPs is
somewhat disingenuous.

If you're truly worried about your mail being viewed in transit you'd
use gpg and it's a non-issue no matter where it winds up (knock on the
wood cabinet of the NSA's soopr seekret El Gamal cracking machine, of
course :)