[ale] System advice for a newbie

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 29 11:20:11 EDT 2004

Tim,
You can just build it yourself to get a fantastic system at a lower price.  No one manufacturer really designs the system for Linux as well as you can yourself.  Use excellent components and ask about what your going to buy here on ALE.  Most likely someone will tell you it works or doesn't.  The latest greatest motherboards can be a pain, along with special hardware such as cheap printers and cameras.  I'd pick out what I'd like to use, post it here, and get some responses.  I'm sure people could just list stuff to build a system with from MicroCenter or Fry's that would be guaranteed to give excellent performance.  I tend to always go with Nvidia graphics, motherboards I can identify as Linux friendly, and the best powersupplies.  TruePower from Antec is a good powersupply.  Just some thoughts on the subject.
Dow