[ale] ping: dest unreachable, bad code:10

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sat Oct 23 16:46:53 EDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, John Wells wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm having a few network issues apparently tonight.  I can't even reach
> slashdot, and when I try to ping it, I get:
>
> PING slashdot.org (66.35.250.150) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >From slashdot.org (66.35.250.150) icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 10
> >From slashdot.org (66.35.250.150) icmp_seq=2 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 10
>
> Any idea what "Bad Code: 10" means?  Is anyone else having problems?

For me, ping shows no response.  However, with the -v option, ping
reveals the same responses that you show.

Code 10 was defined as "communication with destination host
administratively prohibited" by RFC 1122.  Later on, RFC 1716 said Code 10
was intended for military use and that Code 13 should be used instead
("Communication Administratively Prohibited").

I find it ironic to respond to a ping request by saying you don't respond
to ping requests.  It would seem more appropriate to simply ignore the
ping request.

--Joe