[ale] Is this a flaky tape drive

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Oct 23 01:27:10 EDT 2004

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> From the dump cron after a failed dump to an ATAPI tape. It barfs at the
> same place on the same run:
>
> Performing backup of /var to /dev/nht0 ..
>
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Oct 23 01:07:42 2004
>   DUMP: Dumping /dev/md3 (/var) to /dev/nht0
>   DUMP: Excluding inode 8 (journal inode) from dump
>   DUMP: Excluding inode 7 (resize inode) from dump
>   DUMP: Label: var_full
>   DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
>   DUMP: Compressing output at compression level 2 (bzlib)
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 322076 blocks.
>   DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Sat Oct 23 01:07:53 2004
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: write error 1270 blocks into volume 1: Input/output error
>   DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: No such device or address
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
> .. backup failed!
>
> From dmesg:
>
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =  3, asc =  c, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =  3, asc =  c, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =  3, asc =  c, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 10, key =  3, asc =  c, ascq =  0
> ide-tape: Couldn't write a filemark

No being too familiar with Dump, I'd say it could be a couple of things: full tape, bad tape, bad config (why is it fopening /dev/tty?)

What kind of tape drive is it? What is the capacity of the tape? How big is the file set you are backing up?

Check the dump docs or the ide-tape driver docs and see what 'pc' is.