[ale] [OT] Disabling Disk Write Caching on Windows XP?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:31:51 EDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:29:00 -0400, Jonathan Rickman <jdr at xcorps.net> wrote:

> > FYI: In Linux the disk's write cache is controlled by
> > "hdparm", not "mount -o sync".  It is the "mount -o sync"
> > functiionality of Linux I am trying to duplicate in Windows
> > XP, if possible.
>
> Are you getting this error when writing files to the local hard disk, or is
> this a remote share?
>
> --
> Jonathan

Local disk, but the clients are laptops.

I have already configured the clients not to spin down the drives.
I've found random postings on the web from people with the same
problem on laptops, but no solutions.

We can reproduce the issue by simply booting to the windows desktop
and letting the machine sit there for a couple days.  (ie. If we boot
10 machines and just let them sit, one or more will typically have the
error within 48 hours.)

No user or application interaction required.

We do have a custom USB device connected to the clients, but without
the app running, no data is transferred, just the initial plug and
play USB connection traffic.

Thanks
Greg