[ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Fri Oct 22 01:16:14 EDT 2004

John, I've had great success with partimage on linux.  One thing to
consider, is that you have to have an identical partition table (and
MBR) to restore your system.  I usually do the following:

List the partitions into a text file:
fdisk -l > some_file_that_you_store_with_your_images.txt

Backup the MBR (just in case)
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=master_boot_record_backup_dd_file.img bs=512 count=1

Next run partimage and create your partition images...

In the event that you lose the drive, you can just:
a) recreate the partition table using fdisk (and using the information
in the text file you created [above])
b) restore your MBR (dd if=master_boot_record_backup_dd_file.img
of=/dev/hda1),
c) and then restore the partition images from a bootable CD

I've copied entire Linux machines successfully with this method.  I'm
not sure why WinXP fails, but I would bet it has something to do with
licensing, secret spook codes or some similar voo-doo.

Best regards,
Chris Bergeron