[ale] Teaching Opportunity

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Oct 20 02:02:33 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> After reviewing your website, assuming it is http://www.accelebrate.com/
> I will applaud your company for making the effort to enter into the OSS
> training world.  It does appear that your focus is more windows based.

Hopefully I'm not breaking any confidences, but for whatever it's worth,
I've worked with Accelebrate in the past. They're good people. In my
experience, training companies tend to fall into either quality or
buzzword-mill categories, with not a lot of gray in between. I'd put
Accelebrate on the quality side....

They've been doing OSS for years -- PHP, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, XML and the
various associated technologies, Perl, etc. My understanding is that they
primarily do that on Windows since that's where most of their clients are
using those technologies, but I know they've done that on Linux when the
client has preferred. Nothing wrong with that IMO -- the reality is that
there are a lot of businesses out there which choose for a variety of
reasons to use OSS apps like Tomcat on Windows rather than on Linux.

> I still stand by my assessment of the class though. :)

Before I got burned out on travel and went back to being a full-time
sysadmin, I worked for several years for a Unix consulting / training
company doing training and consulting world-wide. Course outlines like this
one are not at all unusual. As long as everyone involved (especially the
client!) knows up front that two days is not enough time to cover any
meaningful subject thoroughly and the instructor is knowledgeable enough to
flex to fit the real needs of the client, I'm sure it'll work out
satisfactorily for the client.

later,
chris