[ale] Teaching Opportunity

Joe Sechman joe.sechman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 19:02:03 EDT 2004

Being an 'enthusiast' of the Linux persuasion, I think it's very
valuable to spread information and teach the world what a wonderful
little skill we possess here at ALE....but, only if it's taught right.
 Instead of dictating what the curriculum is, are you open to having
us provide suggestions/changes to the curriculum for you?

I'm assuming yes, so here are a few I'd like to throw out there:
- First, a clear definition of scope and target audience.  It seems to
jump from 'My first website' to 'what's SQL' to 'Security?' to
'pseudo-sysadmin' to 'web-reporting monkey'.
- Each section should include a 'best practices' and/or 'security' topic.
- Based on the above item, FTP should be discouraged/dropped and
SSH/SCP encouraged.  IMHO: there is no practical application for FTP
unless you're in a vacuum, you just don't care (anonymous), or you're
just learning how to sniff networks - I hope your class stresses the
risks involved with using insecure protocols/practices.
- Drop Analog and ReportMagic - they are outside the scope of LAMP -
or just call it RLAAMP or PARMAL (I play waay too much Scrabble !0)

In all seriousness, there are too many topics to discuss in two days,
it needs to be either further broken down or extended to a week-
stressing security as it's not an afterthought.  There are many here
that are LAMP experts - why don't you ask them for better ideas to
your class outline?  My $0.02.

--
Joe Sechman
Unix / Linux Systems Administrator