[ale] Re: Qmail: adding accounts

Eric Anderson eric at afaik.us
Tue Oct 19 14:29:10 EDT 2004

Bob Toxen wrote:
> Can someone explain how to add accounts to a Qmail system that supports
> virtual hosting in a step-by-step command-line-oriented manner?  E.g.,
> there are many domains supported by the one Linux system with a single
> IP address for multiple domains.  The email is picked up by some users
> with POP/IMAP and is forwarded automatically by others.

Are you using vpopmail (http://www.inter7.com/index.php?page=vpopmail)?
If not I suggest you do so. It integrates with qmail and makes it quite
easy to add new domains and email accounts. With vpopmail you can do
stuff like:

%> vadddomain foo.com <postmaster pass>
%> vadduser bar at foo.com <user password>

It can use a variety of different backends to store the domains and
users (including SQL so you can make quick web-admin tools). There is
also an associated web-admin interface the same company provides called
qmailAdmin (http://www.inter7.com/index.php?page=qmailadmin) which
integrates with vpopmail.

Of course it is all free software. What distro are you using? If gentoo
see this doc (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/qmail-howto.xml) for
step-by-step setup on a qmail mail server with all the trimmings.

Eric