[ale] OT: Google desktop search

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Thu Oct 14 20:13:25 EDT 2004

Yes, but let's read the fine print.  It just sounds too good to be true.

from the Google Desktop Search Terms and Conditions:

	Consent to Collect Non-Personal Information
	Google Desktop Search may collect certain non-personally identifiable
information that resides on your computer, including, without limitation,
the number of searches you do and the time it takes to see your results.
Unless you choose to opt out, either during installation or at any time
after installation, non-personal information collected will be sent to
Google. This information will be used by Google only for purposes of
operating and improving future versions of Google Desktop Search and will
not be disclosed to any third party or used for any purpose other than as
described in this agreement. To learn more, please read the Privacy Policy
located at desktop.google.com/privacypolicy.html.

	Changes to Terms and Conditions
	Google reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions from time to
time in its sole discretion, without notice or liability to you. You agree
to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, as modified. Please review the
most current version of the Terms and Conditions from time to time, located
at desktop.google.com/eula.html (or such successor URL as Google may
provide), so that you will be apprised of any changes.

	Great - so now I need to check their website on a regular basis to see if
they have turned more ..err evil...

	Although they say you can disable it, they also say it calls home every so
often to see if there is an upgrade available and it then transmits info at
that time.  "Additionally, when Google Desktop Search automatically checks
to see if a new version is available, the current version number and the
unique application number are sent to Google." and just in case you tried to
mess with your "unique application number" -  "The unique application number
is required for Google Desktop Search to work and cannot be disabled".

	hmmm ... after a no spy ware law finally gets passed by congress do I want
Google on my PC ???

	I *could* really use a search app for all of the crazy stuff I have but I
don't know ...  I will have to make sure I can disable it from calling home.
I'll have to think about it.  However I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to
beat MS's search feature.

	Greg