[ale] DVD Burning

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 12 09:42:36 EDT 2004

I ran into a pack of bad media, or at least the LaCie 2x firewire
external burner wouldn't burn the media reliably.  Maybe two out of the
ten disks were good.  Also, the Dell Precision workstations come with
two different DVD burner types, NEC and TEAC, and both need firmware
updates to work with 4x media.  They are 8x burners though.

So, unless you have good media, up to date firmware, and possibly the
latest version of your burning tool, you could easily run into problems
from my perspective.  I've found an IDE based internal LaCie 4x drive
was very reliable on Memorex 4x media (50 pack).  We never had a disk
that was bad after burning using that combo.  It is just hard to find
the same hardware 6 months to a year later!
Dow