[ale] memory questions

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Oct 11 16:09:53 EDT 2004

Hey all,

 	I've decided it's time to upgrade memory on both my mac and my
FreeBSD server. I really want nice RAM because of past experiences [1]
so any general advice is appreciated in addition to specific answers:

* My G4 450MHz crashes occasionally (frequently under heavy load) and I am
suspecting it's the RAM (I bought the machine used, and I am writing my
own software, so really it could be anything, but I want to rule out RAM).
Is Apple the best vendor?

* My FreeBSD server has a paltry 256. It's vanilla ram, but it works great
so in this case I'd like to augment rather than replace it. The MoBo
manual says I need PC1600 or PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Can I buy registered ECC
RAM and expect it to play nice with the MoBo and existing RAM or do I need
to replace? Will the mobo even work with ECC if it doesn't say so? I can't
remember the speed of my existing RAM, is that an issue?

TIA!

 	bjorn

[1] I inherited a machine once that kept crashing. Couldn't figure it out
until finally I checked the bios and discovered that ***RAM had been
overclocked***. Not the ram's fault, but it makes me want to be extra
careful.

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche
XO Audio LLC

http://www.xowave.com