[ale] Fedora Core 2 Updates

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Mon Oct 11 12:04:25 EDT 2004

I have not tried this but ...
in the yum.conf file there are sections which provide repository URLs
for yum to search for updated headers and files. After the line which
starts with "baseurl" below, insert in the path to your CDROM
such as file:///dev/cdrom/redhat/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
or whatever the proper device and directory is on your CD. Be sure to
update the "[base]", "[base-debuginfo]"  and other sections.
You should not have to revert these changes to the yum.conf file when
you are done (so that you can continue to get the newest updates the
next time) as long as you don't keep the CD in the tray. Yum is smart
enough to try the next useable repository (which would be hiwaay.net
online in the example below) in that case.
Good luck!
-Brian

Example:

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=file:///dev/cdrom/redhat/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
  http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
  http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os

http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.os