[ale] Slackware to drop Gnome?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Oct 11 11:44:25 EDT 2004

Michael D. Hirsch said:
> GNOME doesn't have a real office suite and KDE does.  Abiword/gnumeric
> do not work well together.  OOo is not a GNOME app.  Koffice is a
> completely integrated set of applications with a much better UI than
> OOo.  If only it didn't crash so much...:-(

I don't really understand the logic there.  With something like OOo
available, why should you care that Gnome doesn't have its own "native"
office software?  OOo is the best office suite available for Linux,
period.  Why go through the effort to create another suite instead of
leveraging what's already there?

Ummm... http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/

> Mozilla
> isn't GNOME and the GNOME one isn't complete.  Konqueror is fast and
> lightweight, and lets me browse filesystems, http, ftp, sftp, smb, etc
> all in one place.  It does a nice job handling all kinds of plugins and
> embedded viewers.

So does GNOME.  Try typing "sftp://hostname" or "smb://hostname" in the
"Location: " box in Nautilus.

> And because of the way KDE works, all applications can handle remote
> filesystems.  From my kate editor I can read/save files on ftp sites, or
> over sftp.  We do so much sftping around here and I can usually move
> files faster than anyone else because of KDE.  (There are some really
> cool libraries out that that leverage KDE and user file systems to
> enable all applications to do this.  The coolest use I've seen is the
> "gmail file system" which lets you mount your gmail account and execute
> files from it.  I gotta try it.)

Nice.  Not sure if GNOME does this or not.  Can't imagine it'd be a lot of
work, since Nautilus already supports browsing, etc.

> dcop is very cool for scripting KDE apps and I haven't seen anything
> equivalent in GNOME.  Does GNOME still use corba?  That always seemed
> kinda heavyweight.

Yes, it does.

> Is that enough?  Maybe it is time to have the GNOME vs. KDE shootout at
> some ALE meeting.  Any volunteers?

Ha...not for me.  In fact, after receiving your email this morning, I
rebooted my session into KDE with the intent of trying it for a week.

I lasted around 30 minutes.

I just find GNOME to be a cleaner, more pleasing desktop experience.  KDE
seems ugly to me.  I suppose it's because I've been with GNOME for so
long, but KDE just doesn't jive.  I want to like it, but can't :)

John