[ale] Slackware to drop Gnome?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 11 11:17:52 EDT 2004

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> I don't tend to like GTK widgets.  I find them to be ugly.  GNOME has
> started pulling out customization options, so I can't make things work
> the way I want.  KDE has a much better customization engine, and all
> kinds of things are in it.  For instance, I can set up my desktop to
> have a menu at the top like in MacOS with KDE and all my KDE apps change
> on the fly,  Now that is some cool technology.

I'm not sure what the menu on MacOS looks like, but you can place a menu
bar at the top of your window with gnome.  Actually, I have 4 menubars,
standard one at the bottom, one on each side another on the top.

> GNOME doesn't have a real office suite and KDE does.  Abiword/gnumeric
> do not work well together.  OOo is not a GNOME app.  Koffice is a
> completely integrated set of applications with a much better UI than
> OOo.  If only it didn't crash so much...:-(

I'll take stability over better UI... :)

> GNOME doesn't really have a browser, either, and KDE does.  Mozilla
> isn't GNOME and the GNOME one isn't complete.  Konqueror is fast and
> lightweight, and lets me browse filesystems, http, ftp, sftp, smb, etc
> all in one place.  It does a nice job handling all kinds of plugins and
> embedded viewers.

Who cares if it comes with a browser?  What does that really matter.
What does Konqueror give you in kde that you don't get with, say
mozilla?  Other than desktop icons?

> And because of the way KDE works, all applications can handle remote
> filesystems.  From my kate editor I can read/save files on ftp sites, or
> over sftp.  We do so much sftping around here and I can usually move
> files faster than anyone else because of KDE.  (There are some really
> cool libraries out that that leverage KDE and user file systems to
> enable all applications to do this.  The coolest use I've seen is the
> "gmail file system" which lets you mount your gmail account and execute
> files from it.  I gotta try it.)

Okay, I like that.

> KDE has really simple and efficient system of web shortcuts.  For
> instance, I type "gg:sooterkin" to do a google seach on "sooterkin".
> "dict:sooterkin" will look it up in a dictionary.  "ask:What is a
> sooterkin" will send that query to AskJeeves.  I've added my own macros
> to query out internal wiki and also our bugzilla database here at work.

Don't know that I'd use those, but that is nice.

> dcop is very cool for scripting KDE apps and I haven't seen anything
> equivalent in GNOME.  Does GNOME still use corba?  That always seemed
> kinda heavyweight.

I think so.

> Is that enough?  Maybe it is time to have the GNOME vs. KDE shootout at
> some ALE meeting.  Any volunteers?

I'm not saying gnome is better, I use it because I can use pieces of it.
  I don't like the look of kde personally.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995