[ale] Viruses and Spyware

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 9 17:08:12 EDT 2004

Quoting George Johnson <gljay1 at gmail.com>:

> If anyone has any good suggestions on any "gotchyas" or things to
> beware of when going out to start a business cleaning off viruses and
> spyware from peoples computer systems I would be glad to hear them.  I
> am working on that Bart's PE and will also just take out a cd with
> good freeware like Spybot S&D (if anyone has any ideas in this area I
> would appreciate that also) to do the job.  Seems to be a demand down
> here.
>
> George

Unfortunately, I fix way too many of these types of infections.  I do have a
Bart's PE CD, and it helps enormously (although at 240MB it is a little too big
to fit on the cool little 210MB CDRWs).

I use the following utilities:

AdAware
SpyBot
BHODemon (kills "browser helper objects")
McAfee (GT site license)
various "stinger" type tools specific to various viruses.

HTH
--
Jonathan Glass