[ale] CPIO and > 2Gig files

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Fri Oct 8 11:54:10 EDT 2004

since cpio is reading from STDIN already (cpio -itv < bigFile), can we
assume 'cat bigFile | cpio -itv'  won't work either?

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On Behalf Of Bridges,
Doug
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 11:25 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: [ale] CPIO and > 2Gig files

I am trying to open up a backup that was created with CPIO and it is giving
me the error that the file is too large.  The file is 2.5 gig.  I have seen
references on the web to compiling cpio in 64 bit mode, but I am not sue
exactly how to go about doing that.  I am running Fedora Core 2 (on Intel),
and the partition is an ext3 partition.  Any ideas on how I can extract out
the files in this archive.  I downloaded the cpio source from GNU, but I did
not see an intuitive way to change it to allow for the larger files.

Thanks,
Doug

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it
may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its
attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone
(404-881-7000) or by electronic mail (postmaster at alston.com), and